Friday, November 20, 2009

Hong Kong-ing it up

I just arrived back to Bangkok from Hong Kong this afternoon.  Im leaving in the morning for Bali. Talk about living out of a suitcase...

I absolutely fell in love with Hong Kong. Its a place I have always wanted to visit and when I found out that my friend Sarah was studying abroad there, I basically made her say it was ok for me to visit!!! Haha! We had a great time together.  She had class all of the days I was there, so we spent the evenings together and I spent the days in the city.

I think one of my favorite things about Hong Kong was the food. Sarah enjoys food like I do, so it was awesome to share meals and go to our favorite cuisines. The first night I was there, we went across the harbor to watch the light show in Hong Kong and then found an amazing Italian restaurant overlooking the water. (For those of you that dont know about Hong Kong, they have a light show every night with music and the buildings. There are lights on the buildings and lasers and you watch it from across the harbor.  It's a Hong Kong novelty!) At the Italian restaurant we went to, we had the most amazing wine and cheese appetizer. I never realized how much I take good wine for granted.  Thailand doesn't believe in wine and it has been depressing to not find any here, without paying quite a bit of money for it. Sarah and I also enjoyed Malaysian, Vietnamese food and Dim Sum.

In Hong Kong, wednesdays and thursdays are ladies night. So on Wednesday night we went out to enjoy the free beverages and dancing.  Long story short, we found ourselves heading home at 7:30 in the morning and were hungry so stopped for Dim Sum.  It was such a neat experience because we were hanging with all the locals as they had breakfast. We ate a ton of food and only paid $14 between the 3 of us. Its ridiculously cheap!  That is literally the 2nd time I have ever stayed out dancing that long (the other time was in Prague) and Dim Sum was perfect for breakfast! Now my body will just be screwed up for a couple days...


Hong Kong was cold while I was there (about 65 degrees). All the residents were dressed in parkas and were freezing.  They dont have heaters in Hong Kong, so it was very interesting that the buildings just all get cold when its cold outside. I was actually freezing!!  I guess that means my body has acclimatized to Bangkok weather, but it was so nice to get out the humidity and heat of Bangkok.  Im so tired of sweating all the time!

Now off to Bali to yoga, spend some time in the mountains, see volcanos and surf!!!

1 comment: