Monday, November 23, 2009

Bali, first couple days

I got to Bali a couple days ago and went straight to Ubud to start my yoga/detox/alone time. Ubud is this artsy, healthy community on the inland of Bali. So, Im not next to the beach (that comes in a couple days!). Alot of the natives here speak English really well because this is such a commercialized area of Bali, in alot of ways.  Its the place to find yoga, health food, spas, spiritual guidance...you name it in the arena of new age!!!

I came here through balispirit.com and they set up all my accommodation, spa treatments and yoga classes. The place I've been taking yoga classes offers classes basically all day long so you can come whenever you want. I told myself that I would give yoga a fair shot; that I would really attempt it and take it in.  Its been two full days now of yoga, and Im having my doubts that I will ever be a 'yogi.' Im just not flexible and alot of yoga is painful for me.  I don't know what happened to all those years of dance and gymnastics, but I no longer have any flexibility to me. Its been a bit frustrating and quite embarrassing to say the least, but also enlightening as I find parts of myself that need to be released.  What do I mean by that?!  Well, I have noticed alot of stored emotion in the last couple days and as I find myself in certain positions during yoga, I just start crying. Interesting...

On the other hand, I have had several spa treatments here and they are to die for!! The U.S. has no idea what its doing when it comes to spa treatments, come to find out. And its SO much cheaper!!  They actually pamper you, touch you and know how to work with your body.  Today I got a spa treatment called the Ayurvedic. As you walk into the treatment rooms, it has a table, a shower and a tub overlooking rice paddies with the windows open. In Bali, you get completely naked and they massage you pretty much everywhere. Its not like the states in that sense, you must be very comfortable being naked. You lay on your stomach first for an hour, than your back and then you sit while they massage you once more.  The fun part about my treatment today was that it focused on my chakras. So, the massage oil was put on my chakras first and then I was massaged according to these seven energy points in my body. Then you get a warm oil slowly dripped on your 'third eye' in between your eyebrows. The Indian yogis call this shirdara and it restores calm and vital balance to the mind and nervous system. It is supposed to enhance self awareness. After the massage, I was scrubbed down and then sat in a tub filled with water and flowers to relax while overlooking rice paddies and lush greenery!(and while drinking fresh juice.)  They end the treatment with a shampoo.  It was 4 hours of heaven...

The people here are so fascinating too.  It attracts alot of spiritual people.  I was sitting in the coffee shop yesterday and this girl sat next to me and started asking me about my kindle (my electronic book). We started talking and she started telling me her story; shes from California and travels quite a bit with her 'partner' (its a man) and teaches tantra. For those of you that dont know what tantra is, its basically sexual healing/energy/some would say yoga; living out of your sexual being. She told me alot about it and it was so funny to notice that while she was talking to me, she was also very comfortable touching herself in those 'private' areas. I was simply speechless trying to take it all in...

I'm really grateful to be around people that understand health food. Bangkok does not have any clue what health food is, so its been refreshing to eat what I normally eat at home and feel healthier.

We will see what the next couple days brings, it should be interesting, challenging and enlightening!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment