Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Phi Phi island one more time

Phi Phi island has been so good to me. Heather and I rented out the cutest little bungalow that was seconds from the beach front and found ourselves making friends with two sets of Swedish neighbors. It turns out that tons of Swedish people travel to Thailand, specifically Phi Phi island for some reason, during this time of year because its pretty dark and cold in Sweden right now. We had a ton of fun with the boys (yes, they were all boys; the ratio on the island of boys to girls was awesome for us). We spent most of our time with the guys chatting about the differences in our lives, our cultures, politics and so on. They say that their view of Americans has changed because of us in a good way, which we are very proud of! We ended hanging out with them almost every day, having fun each night and ended up also not sleeping during "normal" hours. Beach life is a very different life!


One of the days on the island, we rented a long tail boat with our new found friends and went to go snorkel/watch the sunset from the water. We went to an island called Bamboo Island and just relaxed for a couple hours. It was one of the most beautiful, uninhabited places I had ever been. The water was 5 shades of blue, the waves lightly crashing, the sand was white and the sun was hitting the rocks perfectly as I walked around to bask in the beauty. This day was also the 3rd anniversary of my dad's death so it was very special for me to be able to honor this day in such a peaceful, unique way.

One of my favorite parts of my trip has been the languages, the cultures and the many things I have learned from others around the world.  I imagine that it is going to be quite strange for me to hear so much clear English for the first couple weeks when I get home because I am so used to hearing different languages all around me and at all times. I love being in a part of the world where so many cultures and languages collide. It makes me realize how little I know and inspires me to learn more.

As we are back in in Bangkok to do some site seeing and shopping, my time is dwindling. We are headed to the Banyan Tree hotel tonight to enjoy a drink on top of the 61st floor of the hotel. It supposedly has an incredible rooftop view over Bangkok as you enjoy dinner and drinks. As I prepare to leave in a day my heart is sad that this time of my life has come to an end, but way more excited to be home and see what the future holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment